Saturday, March 6, 2010

All those shots led up to this.......

I had my egg retrieval yesterday and everything went pretty well. I was really nervous about the pain of the procedure, but the anesthesiologist was amazing and I didn't feel a thing. I did have a heard time waking up from the anesthesia (like always) and it took us a couple of hours to leave. The nurses were wonderful and gave me two doses of anti-nausea and some good pain meds. Unfortunately I still got sick and managed to punk twice before we left, once on the way home and twice at home. Gotta love being knocked out! Once I was home and resting, I started to feel much better. Chris is a great nurse!

The dr. came in and told Chris that they got a total of 11 follicles. A little less then I thought, but they said it was still a great number. This afternoon I got a call from the nurse and she said that out of the 11 follicles they got, only 7 were viable. Based on what they saw from the sperm sample the embryologist decided to do ICSI (intracytoplasmic sperm injection; www.advancedfertility.com/icsi.htm) and injected the sperm directly into the 7 eggs. They said they have a 75% fertilization rate so we were only expecting 5 eggs to fertilize. I was pretty disappointed because even if they fertilize, there's still a chance they won't all make good embryos and even less of a chance they'll all freeze in cryo. Luckily we have the best embryologist and they were able to fertilize all 7 of them! The nurse said the chances of that happening were very low and we were very lucky to have that happen.

So tomorrow I start taking a new batch of various pills and progesterone gel. I'm schedule for the transfer on Monday, but it may get moved to Wednesday; depending on how the embryos look. Here's to thinking good baby thoughts!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment